Thursday, September 24, 2009

Simplify.

I have done it again! I've updated my template/background. The pink was beginning to bother me, so I simplified the look.
Sometimes, a change is a good thing.

Last week in the TNC Joy Diet, we were inspired to notice joy and begin to do Nothing! Well, let me tell you, I notice joy whenever and wherever I can. When I look out while I'm driving, I try to take joy in the scenery. No matter where I am, I make the practice of looking at that place with my "artist' s eye." It's like a visual caress.
I think, "What does that feel like? What shapes am I seeing? How does that object attract me?
Maybe it's a form of meditation, but the artist in me appreciates
the exercise.


Because of this practice, I actually find beauty in some very unlikely places.
Imagine driving along in the city - the architecture is amazing - even in a battered,
run down neighborhood. I might spot a building with wonderful windows or an amazing doorway.
Somebody planned that beauty.

As a result of this "art trip,"
I am generally always uplifted.
If I feel lonely or down, that goes away
like MAGIC!
I also think that joy creates a sense of well-being and health.
I don't look in the mirror very often.
Why would I bring that up in connection with this subject?
Mainly because my mind's eye sees me differently than I appear.
That might sound delusional, but it works for me.

I have not had time to read the first chapter of the Joy Diet, however I'm sure that I will catch up soon. The subject of "Nothing" is not easy for me to approach. I like to be active. I do enjoy meditation, but I usually practice guided meditation in Yoga. It's refreshing and relaxing.
Otherwise, without direction, I can't stop making mental lists, drawing in my head, planning dinner or a trip to the store, etc, etc.

A lot of this buzzing and busyness comes from years of teaching and self-coaching "on the fly." As a teacher, especially with older children, I had to think on my feet. It probably has a lot to do with my teaching style. I would plan ahead for hours and when I got to the classroom, I would look at the kids and begin to make quick changes in my presentation. Why? just because I would get inspired, or decide that I didn't plan the right presentation. It was exhausting! But so rewarding.

10 comments:

Melita said...

i love that you find beauty in even the most unexpected places. a whole lot of joy can come from nothing ;) looking forward to the truth.

Unknown said...

Thank you for commenting, Melita.
beauty is everywhere.

Ginny said...

I too was a teacher and elementary school principal. Maybe that is why I am finding retirement a little difficult. After so many years of constantly being on the go, it is hard to slow down. Yoga does help and I have also started to explore all avenues of creativity. It is fun and a little scrary to begin to reinvent yourself. Thank you for an enlightening post.

Lisa said...

I love the idea of seeing everything through your artist's eye!

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa, I think that concept came to me when I read the book: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards.

Nessa Dee said...

I usually start seeing things as shapes, lines, textures, colors when I'm in the middle of some big art project. It's as if everyhting I look at I begin to paint in my head. :)

Thanks for the lovely comment!

Sherry said...

I do hope you find your way to nothing. As someone who already finds the joy in so much around yourself, I think if you give yourself a regular slot of 15 minutes per day, all that joy discovery will turn into the peace and quiet of nothing.

Looking forward to exploring our way through truth.

Unknown said...

Ginny, Nessa, Sherry Lee thank you for your visits and comments. I find that the more closely I observe nature and environments, the more I become increasingly able to find my center.
Janet

Janet said...

Your new blog look is beautiful! And I like what you wrote about seeing beauty in everything. I try to do the same thing. The doing nothing part would be difficult for me. I'm always doing something!

Emily said...

Great seaweed pic! I like the colors and composition!

Buffalo Rug made from fleece.